Saturday 8 June 2013

Just a bit of housekeeping, which I apologise for in advance...

...You may have noticed a post entitled 'hey' was posted sometime yesterday. It had a link to some website advertising something or other.

I did not post it.

In fact, I do not know where the fuck it came from.

I'm angry. Can you tell that I'm angry?

If there is one thing I hate about the internet, it is spam. I get an email trying to sell me something or make me click on some link? I delete it. I get a DM on Twitter with a link to something or other, I ignore it. The internet is a horrible place for getting people to buy things they don't really want, or scamming unaware people into ending up with a virus on their computer or money taken out of their pocket, and that pisses me off.

I started this blog because I love reading and I love writing. I love the online writer community. I love wasting my time on Twitter and Facebook and talking to you, my mainly imaginary readership.

I turned my laptop on today and saw that this blog had got a thousand views. I was ecstatic. But, looking on the stats I saw that a couple of people had looked at a post that I hadn't written, which linked to a website that wanted to make me slim, and I was royally pissed off and betrayed, and it made that awesome thousand views bitter. More importantly, it's made me feel unsafe on the internet, something I've never really felt before.

So, if the person who wrote that post is reading this right now, then fuck you. Money isn't the only thing in the world, but if it is more important to you than the written word and a sixteen year old girl's online safety, then wahoo for you. I am changing my Google password and I hope to never be an accidental party to such Capitalist bullshit again.

For anyone reading this post/who read that post which I didn't put up, I apologise for the swearing and negativity, and I'm sorry that there was such an unashamed attempt to scam posted on my blog.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry that this has happened to you Charlotte.
    Similar things have happened to me in the past on my Youtube account, in which someone uploaded an advert to my channel. Hell was I pissed, but what bothered me even more was that someone was actually able to access my account.
    Look at it this way though. Whoever did this to you can't physically GET you. He's just some fat ass sat behind a computer screen (pot calling the kettle black).
    The internet is allowing you to do something you love (in your case write and...procrastinate) and is putting you in any imminent danger. You have nothing to be afraid of :)

    ReplyDelete