Thursday 8 August 2013

Book Review: Angel Fever by LA Weatherly

Willow, Alex and Seb have escaped from Mexico City and the angels, and now they've set up shop in Nevada, training new AKs and planning for the end of angels. But then a spanner's thrown in the works and Alex finds himself on a mission that he can't tell Willow about. Will he survive it -- will Willow?

It is finally here! Yes! The world now has one more finished trilogy to add to its collection -- and this one is definitely worth reading.
 And (just in case any film-making people are reading this) it would make an awesome film. The world-building is brilliant and there's more than enough action to rival TMI and the other YA books being turned into films right now.

Which is part of my slight issue with the book -- it's very action-packed. That in itself isn't bad, of course -- it's wonderful -- but it means that there's a bit of a diconnect with the characters. There was no problem with this in Angel Fire (I live for the love-triangle teen-angst in that book) because of the conflict and action in Willow's personal life. But in Angel Fever, because of the skips through time, there wasn't so much of that. There was still conflict in Willow's personal life, but there was no chance to really feel it, because SUDDENLY ANGELS.
Another teeny, tiny problem I personally had with it is that I was still hanging on to hope. I won't say what for, because it'll spoil it for you when you find out that my hope was crushed cruelly and brutally in just one scene that I shall not speak of because it hurts too much. Suffice it to say that Angel Fire made it pretty obvious that it wasn't going to happen, the first half of Angel Fever made it even obviouser, and then there was something extra for those of us (ie me) who still just weren't getting it.
 Not that I hated the ending, no sirree. It was one of those endings where everyone gets everything and everything was as happy as it's going to get when you've basically been fighting a post-apocalyptic war. It was the end to the series, but it didn't feel like the end. I could imagine the characters going on and living their lives -- and it wasn't something that I had to read about. I didn't close the book and wish that I could hear about Mexico or the travelling or the angels. Somehow I didn't need to.
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is what makes an awesome end to a trilogy.

Overall: just go read it. You'll love it. It gets five stars.
Charlotte out!

No comments:

Post a Comment